For those in the West End who aren’t able to catch Hamilton on Broadway, don’t fear. Lin-Manuel Miranda’s Tony Award- and Pulitzer Prize-winning musical will not be changed in any way for the 2017 West End production.
According to the U.K. publication The Stage, Miranda told press at a launch event for the new Disney film Moana (featuring his music) that he would not make changes to the megahit musical.
“I’m not touching Hamilton,” he said. “The show’s written—I’m just the proud grandparent now. I just walk in and go: oh you’re all so talented.”
He continued, “I mean, our fun challenge is finding an incredible U.K. cast, and our early forays into casting so far have been incredible, there’s such a wealth of talent here.” Although Miranda is currently in London filming Mary Poppins Returns and it is expected he will repeat his Tony-nominated performance as Alexander Hamilton, there is no word on whether or not he will star in the West End production.
As previously reported, tickets for the West End bow of Hamilton will go on sale in January 2017, with priority booking for those who have registered for notifications on the show's website beginning January 16, and general sale beginning January 30.
During the Moana press event, The Stage also reports that Miranda refused to apologize to President-Elect Donald Trump or Vice President-Elect Mike Pence, following the cast’s curtain speech directed to Pence and the upcoming administration.
Read MIKE PENCE ENJOYED HAMILTON; WAS NOT OFFENDED BY CAST
Visit the Playbill Store for Hamilton merchandise.