Visiting Assistant Professor in Theatre Design and Technology
January 10, 2022
• Visiting full time position from January 10 – June 30, 2022, with the possibility of an extension.
• Teach 6 credit hours in the spring semester.
• Design and assist/oversee student designs and build of 2 mainstage productions per semester.
• Serves as Technical Director in the day-to-day operations of the Scenic/Props, Electrical, and Sound for Goppert Performing Arts Center. Will ensure superior production values, safety, and smooth technical operations in all venues.
• Maintain all logistical elements of operating and maintaining Goppert Performing Arts Center, including the mainstage, black box, and music hall, and smaller rehearsal spaces. This includes maintaining a budget and maintenance of all equipment in the theatres and scene shops and overseeing external rental of the PAC spaces.
• Supervise students and student employees including applying and enforcing safe working practices. Effectively mentor, supervise, and coordinate the work of students and others.
• Serve as Technical Supervisor and client liaison for PAC shows, events, work calls and rehearsals as assigned. Responsible for backstage safety, communicate with Front of House personnel, communicate with outside crews, maintain and protect house equipment, and enforce house rules.
• Support client production staff members by providing access to and specialized knowledge of equipment and facilities and keeping PAC equipment operating efficiently.
• Ensure rigging system inspections, automation system upkeep and upgrades, and safety systems.
• Communicate well with others and maintain confidentiality.
The successful candidate will possess a commitment to teach and work in a university environment and a desire to engage both undergraduate students and the community.
Successful candidates should highlight their experience and also be committed to contributing to a climate that supports a diverse study body, serves first-generation college students, and contributes to equity and social justice via teaching, committee work, and/or research.
• MFA in Theatre Design and Technology
• Experience teaching design and technical theatre at the university level with a record of excellence in teaching. Scenic, lighting, and sound are all required areas
• Experience supervising student projects and meeting production deadlines.
• Experience managing performing arts spaces.
• The successful candidate will demonstrate a spirit of collegiality. Positive collaborative interactions with diverse populations—performance faculty as well as other faculty in musical theatre, music, and dance, faculty/staff/students from across Avila University, and the public—is essential.
• Ability to network in the community to promote Avila Performing Arts.
• OSHA certification(s)
• MiG welding experience.
• Theatrical automation experience.
• Experience with stage management a plus.
COMPETITIVE SALARY & BENEFITS
This is a full-time temporary faculty position, eligible for the usual and customary benefits. Avila University’s comprehensive benefit package includes a generous holiday schedule, tuition remission for employee and dependents, vacation and sick leave, retirement benefits, health & dental insurance.
Application for review begins immediately and will continue until the position is filled. Applicants for the position should submit a cover letter, teaching evaluations, and current curriculum vitae, and arrange for two letters of reference to be sent to email@example.com and address your materials to:
Charlene Gould, Ph.D.
Dean, College of Liberal Arts and Social Sciences
11901 Wornall Road
Kansas City, Missouri 64145-1698
Kansas City, a two-state metropolitan area with a population of nearly two million, offers a wide variety of cultural, educational, and social life opportunities.
Kansas City is a highly diverse community with African-American, Latino, Native American, Asian, Irish, Italian, German, Nordic, Anglo-Saxon, Slavic, Mediterranean, and Middle Eastern communities
Avila University, a Catholic university founded and inspired by the Sisters of St. Joseph of Carondelet, provides undergraduate and graduate education in the liberal arts and professional studies, preparing lifelong learners who make meaningful contributions to the global community.
Avila University is committed to teaching students to be advocates for social justice, regardless of their professional and academic field. We are committed to educating our students as global citizens, capable of engaging across social and cultural boundaries.
Avila University is committed to equal employment opportunity and does not unlawfully discriminate in the recruitment of applicants, employment opportunities, or general employment practices on the basis of, sex, race, religion, age, color, sexual orientation, disability, national origin, or any other characteristic protected by law.
DIVERSITY, EQUITY & INCLUSION are critically important to Avila University’s mission and the University is fully committed to achieving a diverse and inclusive community of faculty, staff, and students.
33,000 - 37,000