New York, NY
Parsons Dance seeks a creative, dynamic, and experienced performing arts professional to serve full-time in the combined capacity of Stage Manager and Company Manager. Parsons Dance builds new audiences for contemporary dance by creating American works of extraordinary artistry that are engaging and uplifting to audiences throughout the world. The company performs in New York and tours regionally, nationally, and internationally. In addition to choreography and performance, Parsons Dance seeks to positively impact youth, students, and communities through student performances, lecture-demonstrations, master classes, post-show discussions, and more. Parsons Dance has a company of eight full-time dancers and maintains a repertory of more than 70 works choreographed by David Parsons.
When not traveling with the Parsons company on tour or in a New York City dance studio, working from home is routine.
Stage Management Duties:
● Work closely with the production/lighting supervisor, rehearsal director, artistic director, and administrative team at all times.
● Coordinate all wardrobe needs, including costume fittings, materials/labor budgeting, and routine maintenance/replacement of garments.
● Advance touring production logistics, technical schedules, hospitality, education/outreach, and travel details with tour Presenters and Parsons admin team.
● Supervise the Parsons company load-in and local crew management on tour, including floor spikes, wardrobe, and dressing areas.
● Manage technical rehearsals to accurately and efficiently prepare for successful performances.
● Call show cues for dancers, lighting, sound, and soft goods to maintain maximal integrity of the artistic product and rhythm of each show, including prompt transitions and accurate crew activities.
● Assist with load-out and restoration of venues to the specifications of local technical crew, and deliver timely performance reports to the Parsons staff following each show.
Company Management Duties:
● Oversee all company calendars, schedules, travel itineraries, and rehearsal and artist booking.
● Coordinate advance domestic and international tour logistics including international visas, transportation, hotels, masterclasses, and hospitality for a group of 10-16 people.
● Collate Company repertory credits, biographies, staff listings, and other details relevant to program notes for each tour stop.
● Prepare, pack, ship, and maintain company wardrobe and production equipment.
● Manage touring travel while on the road, including airport check-ins, local transportation, local restaurants, theatre hospitality, and complementary tickets.
● Job requires the candidate to operate a motor vehicle and/or lift up to 50lbs.
● Track attendance at all dancer-related educational activities, interfacing with the Development Manager and Director of Information Strategy and Inclusion as needed to ensure clean and accurate reporting for institutional funders.
● Bachelor’s degree and at least 2 years of non-profit experience, preferably in stage management, company management, program management, and/or theatrical producing
● Excellent verbal and written communication skills and diplomacy
● Creative problem-solving skills
● Ability to manage and maintain the privacy of proprietary information
● Outstanding organizational skills, attention to detail, and ability to meet deadlines
● Schedule flexibility, including the ability to work occasional nights and weekends
● Salesforce (or related database experience) a plus
● Ability to learn quickly and adapt to new software
● Successful prior professional experience in stage management a plus
● A terrific sense of humor and a “can-do” attitude.
● Competitive salary commensurate with skills and experience + 100% employer-paid medical benefits. Eligibility for retirement plan after one year of employment (current retirement plan offers a 3% employer contribution).
● Office hours are generally 40h/week. Touring and event hours vary based on production schedules and often exceed 40h/week, including nights, weekends, and occasional holidays.
How to apply
● Please submit a detailed resume, cover letter and three professional references via email [email protected], with the subject line “Stage Manager/Company Manager Position”.
Equal employment opportunity
Parsons Dance is committed to equal employment opportunity best practices that foster diversity and inclusion in the workplace. We do not tolerate discrimination in employment, employment-related decisions, or in business dealings on the basis of race, color, ancestry, age, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, physical or mental disability, ethnicity, national origin, veteran status, marital status, or pregnancy. Parsons Dance will always seek to provide reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities and disabled veterans in our job application procedures. We also consider extending opportunities to qualified applicants with criminal conviction histories, to the extent permitted by applicable law. We aim to be transparent about our need to request certain historical details for compliance with these requirements, prior to extending offers for employment.
We are actively expanding our inclusion principles to all employment practices within our organization, including hiring, recruiting, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, leave of absence, compensation, benefits, training, and apprenticeship. Parsons Dance strives to make hiring decisions based solely on qualifications, merit, and business needs at the time. At its core, our approach is shaped by respect for each unique individual. This applies to every aspect of employment – from fair wages, working hours, and freedom of association, to equal opportunities for growth and development within the company.
Parsons Dance strives to achieve the same equal opportunity commitments as industry-leading companies in a wide variety of employment sectors. All hiring standards are reviewed for compliance with our seven pillars of Inclusion, Diversity, Equity, and Access, which you can read more about at parsonsdance.org/diversity.
Oct 2, 2022 -
$50,000-$55,000 + Health Insurance & Retirement Benefits
*NOTE: Do not copy/paste the above email address as it is encoded with SPAM protection. Just click it to initiate an email from your preferred email client.