We are currently seeking an experienced Theatre Consultant (Audiovisual Systems Design) with specific expertise in systems design in North America. You will work as part of a team consulting on all aspects of performance spaces and venue planning.
Charcoalblue is the world’s leading multi-national theatre, acoustic, and digital consultancy. Charcoalblue provides guidance and designs for a broad range of buildings and events, including theatre, live performance, music, culture, education, workplaces, entertainment, and sport. We engage with all members of a project team – the clients, architects, engineers, cost consultant, and contractors – on how the design choices they make affect the functionality of the building.
Charcoalblue is an equal opportunities employer. We strive to create a diverse and inclusive working environment across our practice, and we work consistently to ensure elimination of unfair and discriminatory practices within the Company. Recruitment opportunities are open to all, but we particularly encourage applications from women, members of minority groups, people with disabilities, and anyone who doesn't currently see themselves significantly represented in our teams.
The Theatre Consultant (Audiovisual Systems Design) will be responsible for all aspects of design, documenting, and commissioning of AV systems on our projects, working as part of our project teams which can include theatre designers, lighting designers, stage equipment designers, and acousticians to deliver holistic, client-focused design solutions.
- Meeting with clients to evaluate their needs for a project as they relate to audiovisual systems (and beyond).
- Proposing audiovisual systems solutions which meet project requirements at a conceptual level, including accurate budget setting, and impact of AV equipment on other building systems.
- Providing all aspects of system documentation including sketch illustration, written narrative description, architectural drawings, Building Information Modelling (BIM), and specification writing.
- Communicating with client teams to describe our solutions and ensure they reflect the right fit which balances the needs of various project constituents.
- Working with architectural and engineering teams to ensure that each of the design disciplines includes the required infrastructure, support, and accommodation for all elements of the audiovisual systems.
- Providing cost projections throughout a project for audiovisual systems integration.
- Conducting value engineering; adapting and revising designs to reduce cost while maintaining as much value and performance as possible, meanwhile being able to describe impacts on functionality.
- Working with our Team Leaders to set out project work plans, goals, and deliverables.
- Contributing to the continual development of our internal design and technical resources.
- Serving as a resource for all of our designers about audiovisual technology applicable to our projects.
- Create design presentations, written reports, 2D and 3D drawings and sketches, and written specifications to document your design work.
· Ensure that the demands of your projects are met and delivered to a high standard of quality.
· Work within multiple project teams simultaneously while meeting deadlines, arranging your calendar, and balancing project deliverables as they occur.
· Some travel to offsite and out-of-state meetings and site attendance will also be required (note – only when advisable in line with current public health recommendations).
Charcoalblue is open to receiving applications with a variety of levels of experience. We are seeking a broad candidate pool, with no set education or experience requirements. If you meet most of the qualifications below, we encourage you to apply.
· Minimum anticipated experience of 3-5 years working as an audiovisual systems designer.
· Served as primary audiovisual systems designer for completed projects in the design, documentation, construction, and commissioning phases.
· Can demonstrate the creation of contract documentation for the audiovisual systems on new construction or architectural renovation projects in North America.
· The ability to self-manage and set work plans for the successful delivery of work against deadlines with minimal input from management.
· An expert level of detailed knowledge about audiovisual technology and systems integration including broadcast system design.
· A practical knowledge of audio, video and acoustic theory.
· Demonstrated proficiency in producing design and contract documentation in both REVIT and AutoCAD.
· Familiarity with the standard suite of Microsoft Office, GSuite, Adobe Acrobat and/or Bluebeam
· Experience and interest in live performance, broadcast, and/or events.
· Knowledge of contractual issues and the AIA project stages and associated levels of work output.
· CTS certification is a plus, but not required.
All applications are due by 6pm EST on Sunday May 9th, 2021.
May 9, 2021 -
starting at $70,000, depending on experience.