GALA Hispanic Theatre
Washington, DC 20010
GALA (Grupo de Artistas LatinoAmericanos) Hispanic Theatre is a Helen Hayes Award winning National Center for Latino Performing Arts in the nation's capital. Since 1976, GALA has been promoting and sharing the Latino arts and cultures with a diverse audience, creating work that speaks to communities today, and preserving the rich Hispanic heritage for generations that follow.
Agua por Cucharadas translated into Spanish by Laura Martinez Ortiz, from the English Water by the Spoonful by Quiara Alegría Hudes. Directed by Melissa Crespo. Preformed in Spanish with English Surtitles.
· Elliot Ortiz: 24 Puerto Rican aspiring model and Iraq War vet with a limp. The biological son of Odessa and adopted son of Ginny, he is plagued by hallucinations from his violent past.
· Yazmin Ortiz: 29 Elliot’s cousin, niece to Odessa and adjunct professor at Swarthmore College.
· Odessa Ortiz: 39 Elliot’s birth mother who goes by the alias Haikumom on her Narcotics Anonymous site. Lives in poverty and works as a janitor.
· Fountainhead: 41 Real name John, a white resident of an affluent Phily neighborhood. Married with children.
· Chutes & Ladders: 56 Also known as Clayton “Buddy” Wilkie, an African-American IRS employee in San Diego. Develops a close bond with Orangutan.
· Orangutan: 31 Born Yoshiko Saki, now known in real life as Madeleine Mays. Adopted from Japan by white parents as a baby, she has now returned to discover her identity.
· A Ghost: A manifestation of Elliot’s first kill, repeats the line “Can I have my passport back?” in Arabic. Also plays a police officer and Yazmin’s colleague at Swarthmore College, Arabic Studies Professor Aman.
Please submit video of monologue from the show in Spanish with head shot and resume.
Monologues can be found at https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/19IT7wGGtJFn7rKVKVO8Jq49G2Mz8CQvx?usp=sharing
Actors can choose the monologue for the character they feel they are most appropriate for.
Please submit by November 2, 2020 to firstname.lastname@example.org
Call backs will be by invite over skype/zoom in November and early December
Rehearsals: Start March 15, 2020 Monday-Saturday
Tech: April 9, 10, 11, 2020
Opening: April 15, 2020
Closing: May 9, 2020
March 15, 2021 - May 9, 2021