Second Stage Theater
New York, NY
ABOUT SECOND STAGE:
Second Stage Theater produces work entirely by living American playwrights both on and off Broadway. Dedicated to adventurous contemporary plays and musicals, bold new interpretations, and unique theatrical experiences, the work at Second Stage reflects diversity and inclusiveness. Through the discovery of emerging talent and the commissioning of new work, Second Stage nurtures future generations of theater artists. Second Stage welcomes a theatergoing audience of all backgrounds.
Second Stage Theater is currently seeking a Manager of Artistic Development. As part of a small and busy Artistic Department, the Manager of Artistic Development must be a resourceful team player who’s willing and able to cover various demands and responsibilities.
· Read, evaluate, track, and respond to scripts
· Identify and cultivate plays and musicals through developmental work to expand institutional pipeline needs and/or foster relationships with artists
· Build and maintain strong industry relationships with playwrights, literary agents, MFA programs and emerging writers
· Provide support for readings, workshops and play reading series
· Track and update play commissioning program
· Cover readings, workshops, productions, and festivals in NYC and regionally
· Provide coverage for the Artistic Director and Director of Artistic Production when necessary
· Facilitate artistic events and talkbacks when required
· Provide artistic content for marketing materials and grant proposals as needed
· Manage script readers
· Ideal candidate will have a robust knowledge of living American playwrights and strong existing contacts and relationships in the industry
· Outgoing personality with the ability to relate to others
· Discerning ability to identify plays appropriate for Second Stage
· Excellent writing and organizational skills
· Ability to balance the artistic and institutional needs of the company
· A commitment to equity, diversity, and inclusion
· 2-3 years of professional experience in the theater and strong dramaturgical background
This position reports to the Artistic Director and requires availability on some nights and weekends.
This is a full-time position with a salary of $65,000. Generous benefit package including health/dental insurance, paid time off, Summer Fridays, and 401(k) included.
To apply: Submit cover letter, resume, and briefly tell us about your three favorite living American playwrights (excluding writers produced by Second Stage). Please submit all materials online. No phone calls, please.