Bay Street Theater
Sag Harbor, NY 11963
Bay Street Theater is seeking a dynamic and passionate individual to serve as Literary Manager. This position will be a senior member of the Artistic Staff and will work closely with the Artistic Director and Associate Artistic Director to help shape all artistic programming as well as the development of new work and new artists at Bay Street. Seeking out and fostering new relationships for Bay Street with writers and theater artists from underrepresented communities in the theater field will be a central part of this new position.
Specific responsibilities will include:
• Actively pursuing submissions to Bay Street from a diverse community of writers, with a particular focus on seeking out works by traditionally marginalized voices. This includes working with agents, managers, and theater collectives around the country to find new plays and musicals for potential development and production at Bay Street.
• Helping introduce Bay Street to a broad range of new and diverse artists including not only writers but also directors, designers, and theater makers.
• Reading and giving feedback on all submitted scripts, as well as responding to those submissions. This will require creating and maintaining a database of all past, present and future submissions to Bay Street.
• Research and dramaturgical support for all productions and readings at Bay Street.
• Working with and providing support to writers during the developmental processes currently in place at Bay Street.
• Working with the full Bay Street team to create new initiatives to further enhance New Works processes at Bay Street and supporting the Development Department in finding funding sources for these new initiatives.
• In collaboration with the Artistic Director and Associate Artistic Director, acting as chief curator and producer for the yearly Bay Street New Works Festival.
• Participating in and leading talkbacks and other community outreach activities connected to performances at Bay Street.
• In summer of 2021, coordinating and helping program a series of outdoor readings of New Works.
This position is part-time with specific hours variable over the course of the year and to be determined by programmatic needs. It does not require residence in Sag Harbor, NY and duties can mostly be fulfilled remotely. When needed in Sag Harbor for meetings, the New Works Festival, and other programs, transportation and housing will be provided.
Salary: $8500 per year.
Applications open until position is filled.
Bay Street Theater is an EOE and is committed to fostering a culture of equity, diversity, and inclusion in all areas of its operation. Women and BIPOC candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.
Send resume with cover letter, along with three industry references to Marshall@baystreet.org.