Brooklyn Academy of Music (BAM) is a multi-disciplinary arts center located in Brooklyn, New York. For more than 150 years, BAM has been the home for adventurous artists, audiences, and ideas—engaging both global and local communities. With world-renowned programming in theater, dance, music, opera, film, and much more, BAM showcases the work of emerging artists and innovative modern masters.
BAM’s Production department is looking for a Head of Props who will be responsible for managing props for both presented and produced works. The selected candidate will be able to collaborate with BAM and Visiting Company Production Staff with advance planning for a show or event by interpreting props documents, including presets, ground plans, running lists, orchestra pit plots, backline lists, amongst other things while preparing all necessary paperwork related to equipment purchases, running lists and expendables. The selected candidate will exemplify strong leadership and communication skills to successfully operate independently and collaboratively as part of a larger team. Ideally, the selected candidate will be available to begin work as soon as possible due to our current timeline of lined up show for this season.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Lead, assign, and supervise props crews in their performance of diverse tasks while simultaneously performing his/her own work assignments.
- Load in, set up, manage all props materials and set dressing for performances in the BAM Opera House.
- Collaborate with all stagehands, departments, and production management to work with artists and companies to present cutting-edge, internationally renowned performances and art.
- Responsible for performing and supervising properties department operations and maintenance in the Opera House as a working member of the crew.
- Identify crewing needs for productions and events in conjunction with BAM Production Staff and the Crew Chief.
- Evaluate potential crew members' qualifications and ensure they are qualified and match competencies to position requirements.
- Work with Crew Chief and BAM Production Staff to ensure crew consists of a diverse workforce
- Enforce standards of operation in props that are safe for both personnel and equipment.
- Represent the Props Department in production meetings.
- Perform props maintenance in the Opera House as well as the Attic and Penthouse rehearsal studios.
- Commitment to Diversity, Equity and Inclusion (DEI) work
- Comfortable working with DEI concepts, programs, and initiatives
- Must have the ability to comply with NYC COVID-19 vaccination mandate
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES:
- 7 years' experience working in related theatre/stage work with props
- Prior experience working in theatrical, dance, orchestra, and concert preparations managing props and set dressings
- Experience interpreting props presets, running lists, tracking documents, and stage/orchestra plots.
- Must be flexible and adaptable in relation to the work and scheduling
- Union Affiliation: If not currently a member, the selected candidate will be required to join IATSE Local 4.
Working Conditions: Ability to stand for prolonged periods and ability to move throughout the facilities as required daily. Ability to lift up to 50 pounds with the assistance of a team.
Compensation: Salary and Benefits will be provided per the IATSE Local 4 CBA (union) specifications, includes:
- 40 week contracted year at 40 hours/week, with OT and additional weeks frequently required
- Weekly salary of $1,951.60 with possibility of OT
- Fully funded Local 4 Healthcare Plan
- Paid Vacation (4 weeks) in addition to Paid Sick Time per CBA
- Contributions to Local 4 Pension and Annuity
- Perks include comp tickets, neighborhood discounts and more
Application Instructions: Must complete an online application through BAM's website - no phone calls, emails or walk ins, please.
Internal Applicants must apply via the Internal Job Portal by the application deadline. Applications not submitted by the deadline may not be considered. Employees must meet all of the following criteria to be considered for an interview:
- Completed at least 1 year of continuous, active service in current position. (Positions excluded include, but are not limited to, temporary assignments, and probationary employees);
- Meet the experience and skills requirement as outlined in the job post;
- Be employed in current position for at least one year:
- Performed in a satisfactory manner without any corrective actions in the last 12 months
Brooklyn Academy of Music is an Equal Opportunity Employer. BAM recognizes that historic institutional practices lead to a non-inclusive environment and is working to address diversity and inclusion in all forms. Individuals in BAM are experiencing their own pace during this process, which is not uncommon when addressing power and privilege. The Production Department supports and continues to take part in this process.