The 5th Avenue Theatre is seeking a Head of Hair and Makeup to join our team.
About The 5th
The 5th Avenue Theatre is one of America's leading musical theater companies. We enrich the community we love with the art form we love—giving the Pacific Northwest a front-row seat to original powerhouse productions that go on to light up marquees and audiences all the way to Broadway. From the page to the stage, we bring passion and epic scale to every musical we create. With big talent. Bigger-than-life productions. And did we mention dazzle? As a nonprofit theater company and our region's largest performing arts employer, we spread the joy of great musicals with people of all ages across our region and state.
Each year, we reach more than 75,000 young people through our nationally acclaimed education programs. Programs designed to develop new musicals ensure that the next generation of great musicals will be there to tell the stories that captivate tomorrow's audiences. On the national stage, we are a leading voice for the power of this American art form to lift the human spirit.
For more information about The 5th Avenue Theatre, its season and its programs, please visit www.5thavenue.org
The 5th Avenue Theatre and the communities we serve are on the land and waterways of the Coast Salish people who have continuously inhabited our region since time immemorial. They are the original storytellers and theater-makers of this place we call home.
We also acknowledge and honor the Tribal nations across Washington State and the many Indigenous peoples from across the country who also live and work in the Seattle area. As we step into this new period of The 5th's history, we hope to honor their legacies and bring greater attention to their continuing fight for equity and recognition.
At The 5th Avenue Theatre, we are actively working towards goals as an anti-racist organization, you can learn more about our work and statement here: https://www.5thavenue.org/about/anti-racism-at-the-5th/
Reports: This position reports to the Costume and Wardrobe Director.
The Head of Hair and Makeup, in close coordination with the Costume and Wardrobe Director and the creative team and designers, is primarily responsible for leading and supervising the hair & makeup crew and for the building, execution, maintenance and running of the hair and makeup department for all main stage productions at the 5th Avenue Theatre and for maintaining the artistic integrity and vision of the designers and creative team and the 5th Avenue Theatre. This position is represented by IATSE, Local No. 488.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities:
- Is an active member of the IATSE running crew and the IATSE crew supervisor.
- May perform work of all classifications as necessary
- Be an active participant in the 5th Avenue Theatre’s work towards equity, diversity and inclusion and accountability and becoming an anti-racist organization by participating in all trainings and workshops and actively working implementing learned skills and policies in your department.
- Effectively communicate and work closely with the design team to understand their vision and assess the wig, hair, facial hair, and makeup needs for all productions.
- Develop a plan for the execution of show wig and makeup needs that details build, pulls, rentals etc in collaboration with the designer(s) and informs designer of due dates and other paperwork and information needed to proceed on time.
- Maintain communication with the Costume and Wardrobe Director to discuss, plan and problem solve wigs, hair, and makeup needs for all productions.
- Ventilate, build and alter wigs, facial hair, and hair accessories and have items ready for fittings and technical rehearsals as needed.
- Creation of prosthetic devices and special effects make-up or sourcing and coordinating of outside vendors for their creation.
- Works with performers to teach application and removal of makeup and hair prep if needed.
- Provide specialty makeup products and appropriate skin care for actors as needed.
- Creates and assign the run tracks for the Hair and Makeup Department in collaboration with the Wardrobe Head, the Costume and Wardrobe Director and Stage Management.
- Create and implement show run crew schedules in coordination with the Costume and Wardrobe Director and the Head of Wardrobe.
- Hire and supervise the IATSE hair & makeup crew.
- Organize and update all hair & makeup paperwork, including photographic documentation if needed.
- Coordinate and execute the maintenance of the design and styling of wigs and hair to maintain continuity of design throughout the show run.
- Manage and schedule actor haircuts, hair color and treatments, and other services whether they be conducted in house or at a salon.
- Maintain stock, equipment, and supplies for hair, wig, and makeup.
- Coordinate fittings with designer and stage management.
- Organize and implement hair and makeup load out for all productions, returning rentals as needed.
- Is an active member of the run crew on tour productions.
- Experience in budgeting and responsible and effective handling of designated funds. Responsible for tracking expenditures and submitting receipts to the Costume and Wardrobe Director while working within show and general budgets given to you.
- Submit payroll weekly to the Costume and Wardrobe Director.
- Maintain safe working conditions in keeping with AEA, OSHA, and COVID19 Response Protocols.
- Provides regular updates to the Costume and Wardrobe Director on all areas of responsibility.
- Attend and participate in production meetings, department meetings, show specific costume meetings as needed in addition to technical rehearsals and previews for all productions, as requested by the Costume and Wardrobe Director.
- Perform work in a manner that is consistent with the 5th Avenue Theatre’s Community Agreements.
- Participates and actively engages in Collective Bargaining Agreement negotiations.
- This job description is not exhaustive and is subject according to future changes/development.
Essential knowledge and Qualifications:
- Proven experience in handling production and design processes on large scale productions.
- Advanced knowledge and experience with all types of wigs and hair types.
- Advance knowledge and experience with cap construction, ventilating, period hairstyles and facial hair.
- Advanced knowledge and experience with theatrical makeup, special FX makeup, period styling, and skin care.
- Proficient in quick change choreography and crew track planning
- Experience in de-escalating conflict using clear communication, both oral and written.
- Ability to communicate about body types, hair types, skin tones and all genders using respectful, equitable and inclusive language.
- An equivalent combination of an undergraduate degree in theatre with a focus in hair/makeup and 1-2 years of makeup, ventilation, and wig building experience, or 5 years of makeup, ventilation, and wig building experience.
- Prior experience in management of run crews and working with a union crew.
- Board Certified Cosmetology License (desired, not required)
- Demonstrated creative judgment, excellent problem-solving skills and detail-oriented.
- Strong ability to lead a team, delegate and communicate effectively and resolve conflict across multiple departments and with dynamic people.
- Must be able to meet deadlines and adapt and pivot with changing priorities as well as attend to numerous projects concurrently.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills.
- Foster and maintain a healthy, productive, kind and collaborative work environment
- Ability and willingness to exercise professional courtesy and discretion at all times and maintain confidentiality as required.
- Comply with Actors Equity rules and regulations.
- Comply with all OSHA regulations for creating and maintaining a safe work environment.
- Must be willing and able to work flexible hours/days reflective of a production schedule of a theater which includes a variety of hours including evenings and weekends.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Word and Excel and on-line meeting platforms such as Zoom essential.
Compensation & Benefits:
- The pay rate is the current IATSE, Local No. 488 contract rate of $39.11 an hour. Benefits are provided through Local 488 according to the terms of the collective bargaining agreement and include deferred comp, retirement and health.
- Guaranteed minimum 40 hour weeks per year vary depending on the amount of shows performed but average 40 – 42 weeks in a typical year.
- Reduced price parking available near the theatre
- 2 comp tickets per show and reduced cost for additional tickets
- Able to work quickly and accurately in a complex and fast-moving environment.
- Minor physical lifting required, up to 25 pounds.
- Must be able climb stairs and perform quick changes in dark backstage spaces.
- Sit or stand for long periods of time with minimal accommodations.
Application information & Timeline:
Applications from those who have been traditionally underrepresented in the theatrical industry are strongly encouraged. We are striving for our staff to be inclusive of a diverse and vibrant community that represents multiple identities, perspectives & influences.
To apply, please email a cover letter, resume & 3 references by May 20 2022 that explains your qualifications for the position to [email protected].
Please include “Head of Hair and Makeup” in the subject line.
The first round of interviews will be conducted via Zoom the week of May 30, 2022. Final interviews will be either in person or via zoom the week June 13, 2022, with a projected start date of August 1, 2022. A background check will be required upon offer of position.
The 5th Avenue Theatre is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
The 5th Avenue requires COVID-19 Vaccinations for all employees
The 5th Avenue Theatre, located in the Skinner Building at 1326 5th Avenue, in downtown Seattle.
May 27, 2022 -
Jul 1, 2022