The Drama Book Shop
Founded in 1917 by the Drama League, the Drama Book Shop became an independent store in 1923. In 2011 the Drama Book Shop received a Tony Honor for Excellence in the Theatre. Secure in its reputation as the city's best source for theatrical works - it keeps 8,000 plays in stock - the shop has begun to nurture and sponsor them, as well. When a troupe with a musical that originated at Wesleyan University needed urban rehearsal space in 2002, it received carte blanche to convene downstairs in the store's 50-seat Arthur Seelen Theater, named for the owner's late husband. "In the Heights" went on to win several Tony Awards in 2008. The Drama Book Shop seeks a General Manager ("GM") that will be required to oversee and manage all aspects of daily operations and staffing of the café and the Bookstore.
Reporting to Senior Leadership, The Drama Book Shop GM's position is an Exempt position that will be required to oversee and manage all aspects of daily operations and staffing of both the café and Bookstore. The GM must possess an entrepreneurial spirit with a talent for using existing resources to maximize revenue and profit. In this role, you will lead the training and development of the team, empower employees to work together to reach organizational goals and objectives, and serve as their number one champion and coach.
Essential Functions / Responsibilities:
- Responsible for the oversight of recruiting, interviewing, hiring, onboarding, and training of employees and volunteers, ensuring understanding and compliance to standards, organizational goals, and direction, including conducting progressive management and staff counseling as necessary.
- Encourage teamwork, foster creativity, recognize talent, and help develop individuals for advancement within the organization.
- Plans, identifies, communicates, and delegates appropriate responsibilities and practices to the book store and café team to ensure smooth flow of operations.
- Responsible for creating daily and monthly work plans to ensure that revenue, profit, and operational goals of the Bookstore & Cafe are met, utilizing staffing and resources effectively.
- Responsible for revenue generation through multiple channels, including but not limited to retail and café sales.
- Will collaborate on e-commerce strategy and initiatives.
- Partner with Marketing on promotions for the Bookstore & Café.
- Create and maintain a monthly forecast for each account and effectively communicate opportunities and challenges.
- Collaborate and oversee the research and develop new markets for the Bookstore.
- Accountable for ensuring compliance with all of The Drama Book Shop's policies and procedures and ensuring that all organizational deadlines and directives are met.
- Ability to adapt to the business's changing needs and successfully execute new initiatives.
- Oversee the ordering and management of all supplies for the Bookstore and café, including developing and managing relationships with outside food vendors and services.
- Ensure all necessary employees (management included) are certified to work in a food and café environment and make certain the café and any employee are compliant with all NYC and NYS regulations.
- Responsible for oversight of daily settlements and reporting, cash management, POS management and troubleshooting, sales, and managing bank deposits for both the Bookstore and café.
- Conduct regular order analysis to control costs and waste.
- Act as a building contact and delegate issues that may occur, addressing and managing any aspect of The Drama Book Shop in emergencies, power outages, facilities management, and any technology issues.
- Work with have oversight of event planners and programming to make sure events spaces are prepared, staffed, and accessible as needed.
- Demonstrates leadership and a calm presence and manages smooth transitions to maintain bookstore and cafe operations up to standards.
- Ensures and is accountable for adherence to application wage and hour laws.
- Responsible for oversight and approval of weekly payroll reporting.
Required Knowledge / Qualifications:
- Minimum of 3 to 5 years prior retail or hospitality management experience or equivalent experience in a senior managing team.
- Working knowledge of the book seller's market to include the breadth of products offered in the Bookstore
- Previous knowledge of café/coffee shop/retail store operations.
- Savvy with technology and knowledge labor laws and HR principles desired.
- Must be able to lift and move items up to 75 lbs. without assistance.
- Must be comfortable being on your feet for 8 to 12+ hours.
- Must be able to climb stairs
DBS provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws.