New York, NY 10036
Signature Theatre, one of New York’s leading Off-Broadway theatres, is seeking an Executive Assistant to provide direct administrative report to Signature’s Artistic Director. The Executive Assistant is a member of the artistic team with interdepartmental responsibilities in line with assisting Signature’s Artistic Director. They also help oversee general administrative functions at Signature, including space requests, additional calendar maintenance and correspondence with Signature’s Board of Trustees. The Executive Assistant participates in artistic team meetings as a representative for the Artistic Director to help oversee and streamline messaging and communications. The hours will be 10am-6pm with occasional evening and weekend work.
Founded in 1991, Signature Theatre celebrates playwrights and gives them an artistic home through playwriting residencies, producing six to eight productions by resident playwrights annually. In 2005, Signature began its groundbreaking Signature Ticket Initiative, providing affordable tickets to all of its productions. In 2012, Signature opened the Pershing Square Signature Center, the Frank Gehry-designed 75,000 square foot Center featuring three theatres, two rehearsal studios, a central, public lobby with a café and bookstore, as well as administrative offices.
Applicants from populations underrepresented in the theatre field and aligning with Signature Theatre’s artistic mission and institutional priorities focused on playwrights, community and access are strongly encouraged to apply.
Signature is committed to Equity, Diversity, Inclusion and Access and welcomes candidates who have demonstrable experience advocating for underrepresented communities. All employees of Signature Theatre have a responsibility to be active in the institution's continued commitment to its Equity, Diversity, Inclusion, and Accessibility values and goals. Please read our commitment to creating a theatre focused on EDIA.
· Support Signature’s Artistic Director in the following capacities:
o Manage Artistic Director’s calendar, phone line and email correspondence
o Oversee and draft Artistic Director’s correspondence
o Help draft supplementary materials for the Artistic Director, including but not limited to board notes, fundraising remarks, playbill remarks, additional marketing remarks and more
o Work with the development department to oversee and update the Artistic Director’s senior level fundraising portfolio as well as oversee the Artistic Director’s management and review of philanthropic and corporate grant proposals. Manage updates and correspondence in Signature’s database: Tessitura
o Assist Artistic Director in keeping to her schedule by facilitating start and end of meetings
o Assist Artistic Director during special events, such as opening night performances
o Act as a liaison between Signature’s Artistic Director and staff, artists, and donors
· Serve as a general support to the artistic department, participating in season planning meetings and tracking, artistic work related to Signature’s annual gala, and more.
· Provide administrative support including but not limited to artistic database management, expense and budget tracking, credit card reconciliations, travel, and accommodation arrangements
· Work with the rest of the artistic team on Signature EDIA efforts, particularly as they relate to artistic programming.
· Assist the Associate Artistic Director and other Heads of Department with scheduling needs
· Provide additional support to members of Signature’s board when necessary
· Occasionally assist in other artistic programs, which may include Signature’s SigSpace programming, development events and education programming
· Provide script coverage for the Artistic Director when necessary
Desired Skills and Experience
· Excellent written and verbal communication skills
· Excellent organizational, attention to detail and time management skills with the ability to oversee and negotiate multiple simultaneous projects
· Proficiency in Microsoft programs including Outlook, Word, Excel, SharePoint, and Teams. Proficiency in Zoom.
· An interest in and capacity for teamwork and collaboration
· Previous experience managing at least two of the following: busy inbox, busy phone line, extensive correspondence drafting, schedules and people logistics, customer service
· Passion for EDIA work
· A passion for working with and supporting artists
This is a full-time salaried non-exempt position with a minimum annual salary of $45,000. Signature Theatre provides comprehensive benefits including medical, dental, and vision insurance, 401(k) matching, and paid time off.
Please attach a resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please type EXECUTIVE ASSISTANT in the subject line.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, creed, ancestry, national origin, citizenship, religion, gender, sex, sexual orientation, affectional preference, gender identity or expression, sexual and reproductive health decisions, pregnancy, disability, genetic predisposition, age, military, or veteran status, marital or familial status, or any other protected characteristic, in accordance with applicable federal, state and local laws.
No phone calls, please. For more information about Signature, please visit www.signaturetheatre.org.