Director of Marketing & Communications
Overview of Position
The Director of Marketing & Communications (DOM&C) is responsible for the generation of all earned ticket revenues and oversees all aspects of audience development and retention, brand management and special outreach and engagement programs. The DOM&C works closely with the Director of Audience Services who oversees box office and front of house services.
The DOM&C is essential to conversations about critical institutional issues that have lasting impact for the organization and the industry. This person possesses a sensitivity to and appreciation for the art form that drives a desire to ensure that the work of the department reflects the vision for the theatre.
Reporting to the Executive Director and Artistic Director and serving as a member of WT’s senior management team, the DOM&C manages a three-person, full-time team with oversight of Marketing, Communications, Publications and Public Relations. The DOM&C manages outside agencies and contractors for advertising, art direction, photography and video, public relations and database management, among others. The DOM&C collaborates closely with other departments to advance the organization’s long-term and day-today interests.
- Manage an annual departmental budget and an earned income responsibility that pre-pandemic totaled $700,000 and more than $3 million, respectively.
- Collaborate with the Executive Director, Artistic Director and senior leadership team to ensure a clear and accurate interpretation of the organization’s vision and mission.
- Collaborate with the Director of Audience Services on audience growth and retention, customer service and all aspects of the theatre-going experience including box office, ticketing, front of house and concessions.
- Develop annual and long range institutional, programmatic, and show-specific marketing, advertising and communication plans.
- Cultivate a risk-taking work environment that enables innovation and growth in new technology and marketing practices to ensure WT’s vitality.
- Create and grow a sustainable audience base while retaining and deepening relationships with current audiences through the application of learning cycles (design programs, research, try, assess results and make improvements, research, try, assess results, etc.).
- Hire, supervise, motivate and support a strong and strategic marketing team with skills in database management, marketing, communications, publications, social media and graphic design.
- Continually assess departmental capabilities and identify resources for staff development.
- Develop and oversee income and expense budgets for marketing and communications.
- Branding, Visual Identity and Advertising
- Manage and elevate the brand and profile of WT locally and nationally across print, display, digital and broadcast media as well as through media relations and public events.
- Partner with WT leadership, with support from the Board of Directors, on audience development efforts and long-range planning.
- Define and assess opportunities for engagement of both new and existing audiences.
- Create advertising plans for all season series and individual productions, including print, radio, television, direct mail, display and digital advertising components.
- Negotiate marketing vendor contracts, manage print vendor and mail house bid processes.
- Manage the art direction and design of all single ticket and season materials, and lead the development of key art from conception to execution.
- Oversee WT’s digital presence, including website, social media and online advertising.
- Communications, Publications and Public Relations
- Oversee, edit and approve all copy produced in the Marketing Department for use across traditional and new media channels
- Serve as Editor-In-Chief for The Brief Chronicle, the WT newsmagazine, released up to 6 times per season.
- Oversee creation, production and execution of play programs for each production.
- Oversee public relations efforts of an independent PR Firm that manages press performances, photo and video shoots, actor media opportunities and other PR events.
- Audience Engagement, Development and Retention
- Work closely with the Audience Services and Advancement departments to ensure an integrated customer relationship management approach to marketing and fundraising.
- Collaborate with internal departments to ensure that the patron experience is welcoming, kind and comfortable.
- Use predictive metrics to help establish attendance, single ticket, and subscription sales goals.
- Collaborate with Box Office and Database staff to structure demand-based pricing models, and corresponding pricing and inventory strategies to maximize revenue.
- Oversee subscription campaign planning and execution.
- Collaborate in the creation of audience engagement/development events, including From Page to Stage and other ancillary events.
- Work with the audience services, box office, and front of house to ensure delivery of a class-leading patron experience.
- In collaboration with the Director of Audience Services, deliver industry-leading Access programs.
- Develop relationships within the industry and related businesses to serve WT‘s strategic goals
- Qualifications and Key Competencies
- Demonstrable commitment to cultivating and managing a diverse staff and creating a positive, collaborative and productive culture.
- Intellectual curiosity, drive, and enthusiasm
- A record of progressive accomplishment in marketing for a multi-million-dollar organization, preferably but not essentially in the live events industry
- Dedication to long-term strategic planning and a demonstrated ability to implement effective marketing plans
- Experience with subscription and single ticket campaigns in a mid-size performing arts environment and/or equivalent campaigns
- Superlative communication skills, both in writing and interpersonally
- Proficiency in all facets of current digital advancement trends
- Superior analytical skills, including knowledge of statistical analysis, revenue projection, and Pricing strategy
- Experience with MS Word products (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, others)
- Experience with CRM systems; Texperience a plus Maturity, steadiness, and a sense of humor The capacity to add value and perspective to organizational culture
An Exceptional Opportunity
WT offers a competitive salary in the range of $80,000 to $85,000. Benefits including medical, dental and disability insurance, vacation and other paid leave, a 403(b)-retirement plan (with employer match) and medical and dependent care cafeteria plans.
Commitment to Diversity, Equity and Inclusion
WT is deeply committed to creating and sustaining an organizational culture that values equity, diversity, and inclusion, as well as promoting a safe, supportive and collaborative work environment conducive to professional and personal growth. Successful candidate will share these values.
WT is committed to creating a diverse and inclusive environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. Applicants from populations underrepresented in the theater field are strongly encouraged to apply. All qualified applications will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, familial status, sexual orientation, national origin, ability, age, or veteran status.
Robert Sweibel Arts & Culture Consulting is conducting this search on behalf of WT. Qualified individuals are invited to submit a resume plus an expression of interest (video, audio, written) that speak to interests, skills, accomplishments, and characteristics that distinguish the candidacy. Please, no phone calls.
Robert Sweibel Robert Sweibel Arts & Culture Consulting 350 Cabrini Blvd, 6J New York, NY 10040 email@example.com
A review of prospective candidates will commence immediately and continue until the position is filled. All candidates of interest will be contacted. We regret we’re unable to follow up with every candidate. Every applicant’s materials will be reviewed by the Consultant. After reviewing all applications, the Consultant will conduct first-round interviews (to occur on a rolling basis) by phone or video. The Consultant will recommend applicants for further consideration to the Theatre’s Executive Director. Additional interviews with staff and select Board members will be undertaken in a format to be determined. The process will continue until an appointment is made.
Writers Theatre thanks you for your interest!
APPLY BY EMAIL
*NOTE: Do not copy/paste the above email address as it is
encoded with SPAM protection. Just click it to initiate an email from your
preferred email client.