New York, NY 10036
Director of Finance
Signature Theatre, one of New York’s leading off-Broadway theatres, is seeking an experienced Director of Finance to lead Signature's finance department.
Founded in 1991, Signature Theatre celebrates playwrights and gives them an artistic home, producing six to eight productions annually. In 2005, Signature began its groundbreaking Signature Ticket Initiative, providing affordable tickets to all of its productions. In 2012, Signature opened the Pershing Square Signature Center, the Frank Gehry-designed 75,000 square foot Center featuring three theatres, two rehearsal studios, a central, public lobby with a café and bookstore, as well as administrative offices.
Applicants from populations underrepresented in the theatre field and aligning with Signature Theatre’s institutional goals and priorities focused on playwrights, community and access are strongly encouraged to apply.
Signature is committed to Equity, Diversity, Inclusion, and Accessibility and welcomes candidates who have demonstrable experience advocating for underrepresented communities.
Please read our commitment to creating a theatre focused on EDIA at signaturetheatre.org
Reporting to the Executive Director, the Director of Finance guides Signature’s financial policy and direction while also being an active partner with the senior leadership team in planning the organization’s future strategy and implementing ongoing operations. The Director of Finance will lead all financial administration, business planning, and budgeting. The Director of Finance collaborates closely with peers on the senior leadership team, including the General Manager, Director of Human Resources, Associate Artistic Director, and Directors of Development, Marketing, and Production, as well as the Board Treasurer, and Finance, Investment, and Audit Committees. The Director of Finance directly supervises the Business Manager, and Finance and Human Resources Associate.
· Guide financial decisions by establishing, monitoring, and enforcing internal controls, and operational policies and procedures; make recommendations for increased efficiency and effectiveness
· Coordinate and direct daily and periodic accounting operations and processes, assuring that financial records and systems are maintained in accordance with Generally Accepted Accounting Principles.
· Participate in the strategic planning process as an integral member of the senior leadership team through development and use of predictive models and activity-based financial analyses
· Perform cash flow analysis and planning to ensure availability of funds as needed for the operating entity [JB1]
· Maximize return and limit risk on cash by managing bank balances, and overseeing investments managed by external investment manager, in conjunction with Board Investment Committee
· Monitor and confirm financial condition by conducting internal audits
· Lead communication with external auditors to prepare annual audited financial statements and 990 returns
· Prepare accurate interim financial statements and special reports for both internal and external use, through collection, analysis, and consolidation of financial data
· Prepare annual operating and capital budgets and periodic re-forecasts.
· Achieve budget objectives by scheduling expenditures, analyzing variances, and initiating corrective actions
· Liaise with the Finance Committee and participate in Committee and Board meetings
· Ensure compliance with federal, state, and local requirements, through research and awareness of existing, new, or anticipated legislation, and liaise with legal counsel to advise management on needed actions or potential impacts
Desired Skills and Experience
Candidates should hold a Bachelor's degree or above in accounting and/or business administration, or possess equivalent business experience, and have five-plus (5+) years’ experience with a major non-profit, operating on an annual budget of at least five million ($5M).
The ideal candidate will have skills in managing processes and analyzing information, developing standards and policies, non-profit accounting, and auditing experience. Preference will be given to candidates with a Certified Public Accountant designation and/or an MBA, . Experience with Financial Edge, or other financial software, is required. Familiarity with Tessitura is a plus.
This is a full-time, salaried, and exempt position available immediately with a minimum annual salary of $110,000. Signature Theatre provides comprehensive benefits including medical, dental, and vision insurance, 401(k), and paid time off.
Please email a cover letter and a resume with references and salary requirements to email@example.com. Please type ‘Director of Finance’ in the subject line.
Adherence to all applicable New York State, New York City, and CDC public health and safety guidelines will be required of all employees. You must be fully vaccinated for Covid-19 to be considered for an offer of employment.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, creed, ancestry, national origin, citizenship, religion, gender, sex, sexual orientation, affectional preference, gender identity or expression, sexual and reproductive health decisions, pregnancy, disability, genetic predisposition, age, military or veteran status, marital or familial status, or any other protected characteristic, in accordance with applicable federal, state, and local laws.
No phone calls, please. For more information about Signature, please visit www.signaturetheatre.org.
October 18, 2021 -