Broadway Advocacy Coalition
New York, NY 10025
ABOUT THE BROADWAY ADVOCACY COALITION:
The Broadway Advocacy Coalition is an arts-based advocacy nonprofit dedicated to building the capacity of individuals, organizations, and communities to dismantle the systems that perpetuate racism through the power of storytelling and the leadership of people directly affected. Founded in 2016 by several members of the Broadway community as a direct response to the nation's pandemic of racism and police brutality, the Broadway Advocacy Coalition has since grown into a multidisciplinary organization uniting artists, legal experts and community advocates to create lasting impact and collaborations on policy issues ranging from criminal justice reform to education equity to immigration.
Via its partnership with the Center for Institutional and Social Change at Columbia Law School, BAC has created a groundbreaking course at the Law School and collaborated with public institutions across New York City including the New York City Council and the Brooklyn District Attorney’s office. Recently named to Variety’s 2020 “Broadway To Watch” list, other past collaborations include the Gasping for Justice campaign featuring Jesse Williams, Fiona Apple and Alec Baldwin and the 24 Hour Plays "Viral Monologues" featuring DeRay Mckesson, Lynn Nottage and Aja Naomi King.
ABOUT THE ROLE:
We are seeking an experienced individual to oversee and execute the external communication and social media strategy for the Broadway Advocacy Coalition.
The ideal candidate is:
- A quick learner that takes initiative.
- Self directed and adept at managing many projects simultaneously.
- Loves collaboration.
- A jack of all trades: can create a graphic, write powerful copy, or edit a video, as the job calls.
- Skilled at juggling the high level strategy with the day to day execution of a powerful communication strategy.
Responsibilities may include:
HIGH LEVEL STRATEGY:
- Developing and executing a cohesive communications strategy for the organization across all of its various platforms.
- Participating in organizational and leadership meetings to ensure communication strategy aligns with the organizations programming and goals.
- Realizing BAC’s values and artistic potential through its communication channels.
DAY TO DAY WORK:
- Coordinating with other BAC team members regarding any necessary amplification of BAC projects and partnerships.
- Working with the Executive Director to ensure communication projects stay in budget.
- Ensuring quality control of all information released by the organization and making sure necessary decision makers sign off on content and plans.
- Reporting analytics on engagement and success metrics, as determined by the team.
CONTENT CREATION / DEVELOPMENT:
- Overseeing the organization’s social media strategy including the creation of a monthly social plan, copywriting, managing content team members, running meetings, content creation, and community engagement around all organizational programming and focus issues.
- Overseeing all video and visual / graphic content creation, or working to source, brief, and manage external creatives.
- Creating and updating BAC’s websites, as needed for different projects.
- Building and overseeing email campaign strategy to engage and grow BAC’s email base.
- Other creative and external-facing projects as devised by the team, including Medium posts, YouTube content, etc.
The Communication Director reports to the Executive Director and manages or recruits a group of external creatives or interns to help execute the communication strategy.
Part time. To be negotiated based on experience.