Garden Theatre, a non-profit arts organization located in the heart of historic downtown Winter Garden, FL, seeks a full-time Assistant Technical Director. Reporting to the Technical Director, the Assistant Technical Director builds and assists in the install, maintenance, and strike of mainstage production sets, projects, and other carpentry or construction projects. They also operate and lead rental, education and other short run shows as available outside of carpentry and shop/show maintenance. The ideal candidate will be a proactive, enthusiastic, and community-minded Garden Theatre advocate who thrives as part of a collaborative team.
Originally operating as a single-screen movie theatre from 1935-1963, Garden Theatre was reborn in 2008 after a complete renovation to offer audiences entertainment that inspires discovery through theatrical experiences that are innovative, impactful, and inclusive. The Garden offers a transformative experience for every artist, student, employee, partner, and audience. By creating a true artistic home that supports and elevates their vision, passion, and artistry, Garden Theatre continually sets new standards for how theatre builds a connected community.
- Key responsibilities include:
- Lead and complete each mainstage, education, scenic or ancillary build;
- Provide, communicate, and maintain protocols to ensure the safety and well-being of each shop worker, staff, volunteer, and actor etc. interacting with a work space or scenic element;
- Maintain regular contact with the Technical Director, Production Manager to help them achieve their goals and maintain productivity;
- Scene Shop and shop equipment maintenance;
- Be on site and participate in or lead installs, strikes, Garden Theatre and rental technical calls, and events as scheduled;
- Complete Props Shop maintenance projects incl. clean/organization (along with mainstage Props Masters when available);
- Assist in design and implement Shop (Facility, Scenic, Costume, and Property) maintenance and improvement projects;
- Supervise Assistant Carpenters and Volunteers in Scene Shop;
- Assist Properties Master or Scenic Artists’ projects as needed to assist their departments project completion;
- Create and maintain the highest level of work ethic, positive attitude, transparency, and collaborative team environment by demonstrating strong leadership and high standards of behavior;
- Arrange/secure materials and supplies required along with the Technical Director for each build based on assigned budget and direction from the Technical Director;
- Maintain the highest level of transparency with Theatre’s leadership in internal and external communication as well as timelines and progress for projects and tasks;
- Maintain timely responses for each phone call, email, and in-person communication from staff and designers;
- Be responsible for the care of Theatre’s property, materials and equipment;
- Conduct himself/herself in a professional manner when interacting with people in our community and industry as a representative of the Theatre.
QUALIFICATIONS AND CAPABILITIES
- Demonstrable construction expertise;
- Strong attention to detail and accuracy;
- Strong leadership that inspires a high level of work ethics, positive attitude, and collaboration;
- Excellent multi-tasking and time management skills;
- Excellent oral and written communication skills;
- Ability and passion to work inclusively with all ages and diverse populations;
- Experience in conflict resolution and creating a collaborative work environment;
- Sophisticated experience using AutoCAD and other drafting software;
- Experience Microsoft Office Suite, and other applications and softwares;
- Able to manage multiple deadline-oriented assignments and projects at any given time;
- Works effectively both independently and as a strong team member;
- Exercises good judgement in program, personnel, and resource management;
- Driver’s license
Garden Theatre is committed to acknowledging, addressing, and dismantling harmful practices which impede progress. We are actively seeking a diverse pool of candidates and we welcome all applicants regardless of race, color, religion, national origin, sex, age, disability, sexual orientation or ancestry. Garden Theatre is an equal opportunity employer, committed to telling diverse stories and to fostering an inclusive environment both onstage and off.
COMPENSATION: Salary is $33,500 per year, plus benefits including health insurance and paid vacation.
START DATE: Ideal start date is early December; position is open until filled.
TO APPLY: Send cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org by November 28, 2021. No recruiters, staffing firms, or phone calls, please.
December 6, 2021 -