Mercury Store is a space for theatre artists – stage directors, choreographers, and devisers – providing people, space and time to look at and examine their work. It offers residencies, studio and co-working space, community and resources. Mercury Store is committed to a new way of thinking about how theatre gets made; artistic excellence, diversity of artists, creative and intellectual risk-taking, and equitable working conditions are the guiding principles. It occupies a newly renovated, 16,000 square foot warehouse in Gowanus, Brooklyn.
The Mercury Store’s Assistant General Manager (AGM) is a vital member of the staff, supporting the artistic mission and management endeavors. This role will work closely with all members of the team, particularly the General Manager and Executive Director, reporting to the General Manager. This is a permanent, part-time position with a guaranteed 20 hours and maximum 30 hours per week, with potential to increase to full-time. To start, this will be an in-person role, with the possibility of remote work in the future.
A 90-day performance review will be conducted with the General Manager to review progress on responsibilities and team integration; and discuss the scope of the position moving forward.
Mercury Store aims for a culture, creatively and operationally, of collegiality, collaboration and artistic experimentation. In the spirit of those values, the Assistant General Manager is needed to help grow and expand the administrative team to best support the operations of the company. The ideal candidate is someone who is eager to grow in a new company, gain experience in different working models, and actively contribute in a collaborative environment. As we grow our operations, the Assistant General Manager will have the opportunity to play an active role in shaping the organization.
Artists and Production Contracts and Payroll
- Assemble employment and payroll paperwork for all incoming artists
- Prepare weekly payroll for lead artists, actors, production staff and project collaborators
- Prepare and track contracts and payroll paperwork
- Draft and file Stage Directors & Choreographers Society (SDC) contracts along with appropriate benefit payments
- Aid in creation, refinement and management of Covid protocols
- Serve as thought partner on design and direction of personnel resources and systems that reinforce organizational culture and team integration and wellbeing
- Help codify organization values and commitments for equity, diversity and inclusion
- Research and develop outlets including trainings, knowledge building resources, individual and team supports, and accountability metrics
- Help with creating systems for bookkeeping and accounting, including accounts payable, vendor management, bank reconciliations and credit card reconciliation
- Collaborate with the General Manager on financial reporting throughout season
- Aid in budget creation and tracking for individual artists
- Support day-to-day administrative activities and office management
- Engage in contracting and administration of facility rentals
- Help to organize staff and seasonal events, including staff outings and end of season gatherings
The ideal candidate will have/be:
- Flexible and responsive nature to support artists and daily operations
- Experience with event management and administration, or activities that require skill to juggle multiple tasks and interests at one time
- Excellent organizational habits; the ability to follow existing processes and develop new ones
- Ability to engage with incoming artists and acting company. Note: We work in a casual environment, so being comfortable making conversation is a great way to connect with folks while they’re in the space.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills including email, phone and in person
The Mercury Store is excited to welcome candidates with an array of backgrounds and skills. While not required, we encourage candidates to have experience or familiarity with:
- Different models of theatre making and genres, including devised work, adaptation, physical theatre, dance theatre, new plays and musicals
- Strong collaborative skills
- Working for a new/start up organization
- Quickbooks or other financial software, and Google Workspace or similar team integration and administration platform.
- Working in an office environment.
Salary and Benefits
Guaranteed minimum weekly payment of $600 for 20 hours. Any hours worked beyond 20 hours, up to the maximum of 30 hours, will be discussed and scheduled in partnership with the General Manager. Additional hours will be compensated at the hourly rate of $30.
This position will be offered paid time off, sick time and will be eligible for 401k matching.
All employees of Mercury Store will be required to provide proof of boosted vaccination to enter the building, in addition to regular testing protocol.
To apply, please send your cover letter and resume to [email protected] with the subject line “Assistant General Manager.” Applicants are welcome and encouraged to present credentials and examples of work experience in other creative written or digital media formats, in addition to the cover letter and resume. Mercury Store will be accepting applications through September 5th, with interviewing to begin after Labor Day. All applications will receive a response email.
Mercury Store’s employee searches are conducted in partnership with CJAM Consulting, LLC.
Equal employment opportunity and an inclusive and representative staff are fundamental at the Mercury Store where employment and promotional opportunities are based upon individual capabilities and qualifications without regard to race, color, religion, gender, pregnancy, sexual orientation/preference, political position, age, national origin, marital status, citizenship, disability, veteran status, or any other protected characteristic as established under law.
Oct 3, 2022 -
*NOTE: Do not copy/paste the above email address as it is encoded with SPAM protection. Just click it to initiate an email from your preferred email client.