By Andrew Gans
04 Sep 2013
The annual event allows theatre fans the chance to purchase unique showbiz treasures, meet their favorite cast members and bid on exclusive backstage experiences.
Dozens of auction items are now available for pre-bidding at broadwaycares.org, including the following:
- Walk-on roles and backstage experiences at Chicago, Cinderella, Kinky Boots, The Lion King, Mamma Mia!, Once, The Phantom of the Opera and Rock of Ages with more to be announced.
- A T-shirt worn onstage and autographed by Tom Hanks during his acclaimed run of Lucky Guy on Broadway.
- One-of-a-kind show memorabilia signed by Julie Andrews, Daniel Craig, Dame Judi Dench, Douglas Fairbanks, Hugh Jackman, Ethel Merman, Bette Midler, Liza Minnelli, Mary Tyler Moore, Sir Laurence Olivier, Julia Roberts, Elaine Stritch and more.
- Elphaba’s broom prop used in the Broadway production of Wicked by Idina Menzel, who created the role and also signed the broom.
- Rare opportunities to enjoy lunch with Angela Lansbury and Judith Light, and the chance to meet with Hal Prince in his Rockefeller Center office.
- Intricate costumes worn by beloved characters Ariel, Ursula and Sebastian in the original Broadway production of Disney's The Little Mermaid.
- A backstage meet-and-greet with Arthur Darvill, star of the hit British television show “Doctor Who” and current star of Broadway’s Once.
- Musical phrases handwritten and signed by Lynn Ahrens and Stephen Flaherty, Billie Joe Armstrong, Alain Boublil and Claude-Michel Schönberg, Tom Kitt and Brian Yorkey, Cyndi Lauper, Bobby Lopez and Jeff Marx, Marc Shaiman and Scott Wittman, Stephen Schwartz and more.
- VIP tickets and backstage meet-and-greet experiences with Sir Ian McKellen and Sir Patrick Stewart after seeing them in the repertory Broadway revivals of No Man's Land and Waiting for Godot; with Tony and Emmy Award winner Cherry Jones and her two-time Tony-nominated co-star Celia Keenan-Bolger from The Glass Menagerie; with Kinky Boots' star trio of Billy Porter, Stark Sands and Annaleigh Ashford; and with the Dynamos of Mamma Mia!, Judy McLane, Felicia Finley and Lauren Cohn.
Silent auction lots will be opened every half hour from 10 AM-3:30 PM Sept. 22; the live auction begins at 5 PM. Pre-bidding on silent and live auction lots is available online now through 10 AM ET Sept. 21.
More than 50 tables full of Broadway memorabilia, trinkets, Playbills and one-of-a-kind treasures will line West 44th Street, between Broadway and Eighth Avenue. Among the shows scheduled to have tables this year are Annie, Cinderella, The Book of Mormon, The Lion King, Kinky Boots, Mamma Mia!, Matilda The Musical, Motown: The Musical, Newsies, Once, Pippin, The Phantom of the Opera, Rock of Ages, The Trip to Bountiful and Wicked.T
The Celebrity Autograph Table & Photo Booth will feature dozens of stars of stage and screen. The line-up of celebrities will be announced Sept. 11.
Last year, the Broadway Flea Market & Grand Auction raised a record-breaking $681,892, bringing the event's 26-year total to $9,870,369.
Broadway Cares/Equity Fights AIDS is one of the nation’s leading industry-based, nonprofit AIDS fundraising and grant-making organizations. By drawing upon the talents, resources and generosity of the American theatre community, since 1988 BC/EFA has raised more than $225 million for essential services for people with AIDS and other critical illnesses across the United States.